Learning English as a second language can be done in two ways. First, you can learn in a physical classroom or online classes, but these methods have advantages and disadvantages. Here are the pros and cons of learning English in person and online.
BENEFITS OF LEARNING ENGLISH IN PERSON
- Learning English beyond the structure of a syllabus is a great experience. Free-flowing and natural conversation with your teacher helps you learn not only the language but also certain grammatical aspects and nuances.
- You will be able to learn the culture together with the language since your teacher will be able to bring you outside of the classroom setting and let you immerse yourself in places where English is a primary language.
- Connections are built better in person, and it’s easier to talk to someone if you can see their body language and facial expressions.
- There are no set hours for learning. You can learn English by talking to several people, not just one teacher.
- Your resources are plentiful. When your teacher is not around, you can pick up a book and read or watch and listen to other people while they converse with each other.
DISADVANTAGES OF LEARNING ENGLISH IN PERSON
- You might feel excluded in certain situations, especially when you come to a country that primarily speaks English. In addition, interacting socially might be a challenge since assimilation isn’t as easy as it sounds in a different culture. For example, you may be able to speak their language but not understand their slang.
BENEFITS OF LEARNING ENGLISH ONLINE
- You can learn anywhere, even without a teacher. Some apps teach languages, and you can download them, plug your earphones in, and follow what you hear.
- You can develop several skills simultaneously. For example, your reading, listening, speaking, and writing skills will be enhanced because your teacher might have you use all of them while doing certain activities.
- You can make friends in an online community, which will make learning online more fun. In addition, you can practice with your friends before your class, which can contribute to your progress.
DISADVANTAGES OF LEARNING ENGLISH ONLINE
- Technology can be highly unreliable. If your mobile device stops working or loses power, learning time is over.
- Since online English teachers usually have other students, learning English is often cut short.
- Interactions are impersonal. It’s hard to build a connection with your teacher through a screen, and lessons are often structured, leaving no room for casual conversation.
- Distractions are abundant. When you’re connected to the internet, there are many things to explore, which takes your mind away from learning English. Since there’s a possibility of boredom, your mind will stray from the lesson and look for more exciting things.
- Fluency cannot be learned via an online class. You also cannot grasp the nuances and colloquialisms of the language since the syllabus doesn’t often include those.
Whether you’re looking to learn English online or off-line, you can do so at The Maelan Way which has quickly climbed to become the #1 phonics provider in Hong Kong.